Saturday, January 15, 2011

Composite Bat Ban- My Opinion

Baseball bats have regulations they need to be within for most leagues. Like the length, barrel width, drop (difference between length and weight), and bat performance factor (BPF). BPF measures how fast a ball comes off a bat when hit. Composite bats start off within these standards but as the are used they develop more give. More give allows the ball to come off the bat faster.  Sometimes referred to as the trampoline effect. 

I think composite bats are pretty cool. Come on, who wouldn't want a bat that helped you hit faster, harder, or farther? But, as we all know, I am concerned with safety. A ball coming off of a bat faster gives the fielders less time to react, especially the pitcher.  So I agree with the ban. I also like what USSSA did by moving back the mound and spacing the bases farther apart.

The point is technology advances so fast that sometimes changes have to be made..

1 comment:

  1. Moving the mound back and spacing the bases further apart are good ideas. Why don't they just require everyone to use the same kind of bat. Then they wouldn't have to modify the whole field. I always wonder how todays athletes would compare to the athletes in the 50s if they had to use the same equipment and uniforms. Athletes don't even have to feel their own sweat nowadays!!!!! That's just me talkin'....I'm no athlete.

    ReplyDelete